Ginger and Scallion Crabs & Stir-Fried Dried Tofu with Soy Beans

I am always looking for the freshest and the best deal when I went to grocery store. Today at T&T Supermarket, they have dungeon crabs on sale for I think $2.29 per lb for the small size ( which means around 2 lb per crab ). I bought 2 crabs, it cost me about CAN $ 8.50. I don't think you can order 2 crabs in the restaurant for just $ 8.50! At least you need to pay $ 14 for just one crab I think.

Choosing the recipe is easy enough, I was pretty tired that day so I just choose the easiest recipe to cook. I pick the recipe from The Breath Of A Wok, one of my ultimate favorite Chinese recipe book. The original recipe calls for blue crabs, but it also said that we can use any type of crabs.



DANNY CHAN'S GINGER AND SCALLION CRABS

4 live blue crabs ( about 2 lbs )
1 Tbs oil
1 large walnut-sized knob of ginger, smashed
2 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 cup chicken broth
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
cilantro sprigs, optional

1. Put the crabs in a paper bag and put the bag in the freezer for about 1 hr or until the crabs are no longer moving. Put each crab shell side down on a cutting board and twist off the apron. Pull off the hard shell and remove the spongy gills on both sides. Cut the small legs off with a cleaver and discard. Cut each crab in half. Put in a colander and rinse under cold water. Shake off excess water.

2. Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 to 2 seconds of contact. Swirl in the oil, add the ginger and the white part of the scallions only, and stir-fry 10 seconds or until fragrant. Add the crabs and stir-fry 20 seconds. Add the broth and immediately cover. Cook over high heat 5 minutes. Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, pepper, and the scallion greens, stirring to combine. Cook, stirring, 30 seconds or until the crabs are just cooked through. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.

Serves 4 as part of a multicourse meal.


For vegetable side dish, I made my own version of soy beans and dried tofu stir-fry. We tried a dish like this in a restaurant and we like it. Plus, Richard think it is super healthy so I thought why don't I try to cook it at home, so here it is, my own version that maybe still need to be tweak a little bit more.




1 1/2 cups of dried tofu thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups of frozen soy bean thawed ( it's important to thawed the soy beans so that when you put them in the very hot wok, you won't loose the heat )
2 Tbs peanut oil
1 tsp sugar
3 Tbs Lee Kum Kee sweet soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil

Heat the wok over medium high heat. Swirl in the peanut oil. Stir fry the soy beans and the tofu slices with the sweet soy sauce, salt, and sugar for about 1 minute. Then add the sesame oil , cook for 20 seconds more and turn off the heat.

Comments

Popular Posts