Honey-Glazed Salmon with Roasted Corn Salsa



When I was pregnant with my daughter I read somewhere that it is very good for a pregnant woman to eat more Omega-3. I am not sure about how true that is but at least I know that there is no harm of eating more fish, right? The problem is, I don't really like to eat fish and more problem again, I don't like to eat cooked salmon. I am okay with salmon sashimi, partly because restaurants tend to overcooked their salmon. I never know that when you cook salmon just right, they are so juicy and flavourful. I found out about how to cook them just right by practice off course because every time you buy salmon, they do not come at the same thickness and the thicker they are they need longer time to cook and off course you need to adjust the temperature of your stove as well accordingly.

I got a lot of practice cooking salmon when I was pregnant. First, I search through many recipe website for their salmon recipes. I download them, I print them then I organize them in a folder file. How was that? Martha Stewart will be proud of me! Then every day I go through one recipe at a time. Not all of them are to my liking, but some do.

I choose Salmon for 2 reasons. One, they are full packed with Omega-3 and here in Vancouver, they are cheap and fresh!

This recipe combine 2 things that I love now. One is salmon, and the other is corn.

Honey-Glazed Salmon with Roasted Corn Salsa


Ingredients:


For the salsa:
3 ears of corn, shucked
2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp. Tabasco or other hot-pepper sauce, or
to taste
2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

For the salmon:
1/2 cup honey
2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. vegetable oil
6 center-cut salmon fillets with skin intact, each
6 to 8 oz.
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Directions

To make the salsa, prepare a hot fire in a grill. Place the corn on the grill rack 5 to 6 inches from the fire and cook, turning often, until the kernels have softened and are lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely, then cut off the kernels from each ear with a sharp knife, cutting the length of the ear and rotating it with each cut.

In a large bowl, combine the corn kernels, the tomatoes, onion, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and hot-pepper sauce. Stir well, then taste and adjust the seasonings. Cover and refrigerate. Stir in the parsley just before serving.

To prepare the salmon, in a small saucepan, stir together the honey, balsamic vinegar and the 1 Tbs. vegetable oil. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes.

In a heavy, large nonstick fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the 2 tsp. vegetable oil. Season the salmon with salt and pepper and place, skin side down, in the pan. Brush the tops generously with the honey mixture and cook for 5 minutes. Turn the salmon over and brush again with the honey mixture. Cook, turning occasionally and brushing with the honey mixture, until the salmon is glazed and opaque throughout, 5 to 7 minutes more. Transfer to warmed individual plates. Pass the salsa at the table. Serves 6.

Comments

Popular Posts